[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 11 05:02:20 UTC 2017

On 11 March 2017 12:58:04 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 22:32:25 +0000, you wrote:

>>> I don't mean to sound snarky but maybe you should have bought a router
>>> that includes a firewall.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tim.
>>>

>>I don't want to sound snarky either it's a genuine question, but why get a
>>router with firewall? I'm not ipv6 yet but I am trying to get there - one
>>of my fundamental design parameters I have been working to on my network is
>>that every device handles it's own firewalling.
>>
>>Im still trying to get my head around why ISP's are implementing IPv6
>>firewalls and how that can work in practice.
>>
>>Is the theory that everything is some sort of UPnP equivalent capable?
>>
>>My current IPv4 ISP provider doesn't even do a full firewall, they block
>>SMTP port 25 and a couple of others with an opt in / out option but that is it.
>>
>>I thought it was simple - once you went IPv6 you were world accessible so
>>your individual devices better be ready. If your device can't handle Ipv6
>>world access then only option is to put it behind an IPv6 to IPv4 gateway
>>and NAT pseudo protection. Is this wrong?
>
> Yes, that is all wrong.
>
> Your ISP does not do firewalling for you.  Some block certain ports
> such as 25 to prevent problems happening to THEM, not to you.  If one
> of their customers has their SMTP server misconfigured on port 25 to
> allow open relaying of emails, within a few hours it will be in use
> for sending millions of spam emails.  Shortly after that, the spam
> blocker sites will notice this and will start blocking the IP address,
> usually by blocking the entire IP address range it is part of.  That
> means that other innocent customers of the same ISP will have their
> emails blocked, and if the ISP's main email servers are on the same
> address range, all the emails from them will be blocked too.  This
> causes your ISP huge problems, so some block port 25 to prevent this,
> and just unblock it on request by a customer who needs to use it.  But
> this blocking is not a firewall - all the packets on all the other
> unblocked ports will be delivered to your network, and unless it has a
> firewall that prevents it, those packets will be delivered to your
> network.
>
> It is up to you to have a firewall on your network to prevent bad
> things from happening to your devices.  With IPv4, having to use NAT
> to provide you with addresses for your network provides a good basic
> firewall, as an otherwise unconfigured NAT router blocks all incoming
> packets that are not as response to outgoing packets.  That is
> sufficient firewalling for most simple home users.  You can then add
> rules to a NAT firewall to allow in traffic on some specific ports and
> send it to specific IPv4 addresses on your network, if you need that.
> Or you can add other rules to block specific ports or addresses or
> other more complicated things.  But simply having NAT between your
> [...]

I interpreted (misinterpreted?) the earlier reference to "operator provided
gateways" as being the ISP rather than the CPE router they provide.
Assuming I misinterpreted - there appears to be disagreement as to whether
they default as on or default as off, which in my opinion is very
significant as to whether MythTV should default to bind all or bind local
only. Otherwise your post matches my understanding. Though possibly worth
pointing out that a router firewall only works on attacks from outside the
customers network. Firewalls on each device has the added benefit of
*potentially* protecting from attacks within the customer network like a
compromised machine gone rogue.