[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 22:32:25 UTC 2017

On 11 March 2017 3:37:55 AM <mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net>:
>
>> Yep - I realized when I bought a new router that supports IPV6 and
>> connected it to Comcast. All of a sudden the entire world can ssh
>> into my PC via IPV6 and there is nothing I can set in the router to
>> prevent it. On the other hand, I have had certain IPV4 ports open
>> for years anyway so I can access my systems when away from home.
>>

> I don't mean to sound snarky but maybe you should have bought a router
> that includes a firewall.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim.

I don't want to sound snarky either it's a genuine question, but why get a
router with firewall? I'm not ipv6 yet but I am trying to get there - one
of my fundamental design parameters I have been working to on my network is
that every device handles it's own firewalling.

Im still trying to get my head around why ISP's are implementing IPv6
firewalls and how that can work in practice.

Is the theory that everything is some sort of UPnP equivalent capable?

My current IPv4 ISP provider doesn't even do a full firewall, they block
SMTP port 25 and a couple of others with an opt in / out option but that is it.

I thought it was simple - once you went IPv6 you were world accessible so
your individual devices better be ready. If your device can't handle Ipv6
world access then only option is to put it behind an IPv6 to IPv4 gateway
and NAT pseudo protection. Is this wrong?