[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Thu Mar 9 22:58:30 UTC 2017

On 09/03/17 22:01, rudy zijlstra wrote:

> On 09-03-17 22:42, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

>>> Thinking about this some more, I came up with an addition to the
>>> previous proposal.
>>>
>>> Keep the "Listen on all ip addresses" checkbox that I proposed.
>>>
>>> Whether or not "Listen on all ip addresses" is checked, check the sender
>>> of all incoming connections. If the sender is a public IP address,
>>> simply ignore the connection.
>>>
>>> Provide a checkbox labeled "NOT RECOMMENDED - Allow connections from the
>>> Internet". Default this to unchecked. When this is unchecked, only
>>> provide private ip addresses from the below list in the drop down boxes
>>> for IP address. When it is checked, provide all ip addresses in the drop
>>> down and bypass the sender ip address check.
>>>
>>> The following IP addresses are the private ip addresses that would be
>>> allowed. Everything else would be rejected.
>>>
>>> 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
>>> 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
>>> 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
>>> 127.0.0.1 (local loop-back)
>>> 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 (link-local)
>>> ::1 (local loop-back)
>>> fe80::/10 (link-local)
>>> fc00::/7 (unique local)
>>>
>> This will work for all the "local" addresses inside a home network.
>>
>> As ipv6 gains more widespread adoption, the primary mechanism that
>> ISP's will use to provide global ipv6 address space inside the home
>> network is "prefix delegation". This is where the ISP tells the
>> router the /64 network that it should assign addresses from.
> The delegated prefix does not need to be a /64. In fact, the prefix i
> have is a /48 :)
>
> The delegated prefixes are likely between /56 and /64

Of course, I too have a /48.

Anyway, the idea was "if i have a global address, then accept traffic
from that subnet". The actual size of the subnet will be determined
by what is on the interface, even if you have a /48 allocation, each
subnet (i would expect) to be a /64 if you expect SLAAC to work.

Regards
Stuart