[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 8 01:37:40 UTC 2017

On 07/03/17 21:00, Peter Bennett wrote:

> Listening on all addresses solves the problem of an interface that is
> down when the backend starts up. New Interfaces automatically are
> listened on when they are attached. I tested by plugging in a USB wifi
> dongle after starting the backend, and it is able to receive
> communications on that device.

Ignoring interfaces that aren't present at start-up was intentionally
added around 0.25/0.26. There's no audit trail but IIRC the reason was
security...

At the time, my BE often woke whilst up my network was off, so I have
always reverted that change by commenting out the 2 lines at
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/serverpool.cpp#L116

That causes the BE to continue listening on its configured IP and it
used to quite happily connect whenever the network appeared. I haven't
tried it for a while - network is always on these days - but I've never
had to faff around with 'delay startup until interface is up' issues.

I don't use network tuners though. But then, ignoring tuners just
because they weren't found at start-up is also questionable IMO. A
housekeeping task could manage hot-plugging tuners.

I can't comment on wildcard binds but maybe reviewing the 'ignore'
policy should be the first step in resolving this particular problem.