[mythtv] backend stops recording after many days

Steve E simon.sinister at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 5 14:40:20 UTC 2017

   This bug has been plaguing me for at least ten years. I don't use any
guide data.
I manually set up all of my recordings, usually on a once per week
basis. The
two news programs I watch get recorded on a daily basis.

   The time until failure varies greatly, but I'd estimate that it
happens at least
once every 3 weeks. Every day, I check to see the Upcoming Recording list.
When I find that there are items missing, I stop and restart the backend.
All the missing recordings appear after doing this.

   I suspect that whatever data structure is used to keep track of upcoming
recordings get corrupted over time. Maybe it's missing semaphore protection
when one thread is adding and another is deleting at the same time?

   It's hard to come up with a scheme to catch the bug because it takes a
fairly long time to reproduce.

     - Steve