[mythtv] Link-local IPV6 addresses

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 14:57:13 UTC 2017

On 02/27/2017 06:31 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Fundamentally it's a routing hint, since every possible link
> (ie network card) will have a link local address, all of which fall
> into fe80::/10 so you have multiple equal cost routes for that subnet.
>
> Is is posssible to ship the addresses around in QHostAddress's as that
> properly support the link scope?
>

> Regards
> Stuart
Hi Stuart

There already is code in MythTV (corecontext) that creates a lookup
table for scope id based on link-local ip address. I have expanded on
this and it now works with frontend-backend communications as well as
with database connections. Outstanding is how to get http URLs for
services to work, since the built in classes reject any host id in the
URL if there is a percent sign in it. It seems it is not reaching the
socket where the appropriate ip address scope needs to be set. The API
we use is high level and does not seem to allow us to explicitly set the
ip address, other than through the URL.

Peter