[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by pbennett. v29-pre-305-gef7e594

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 00:27:28 UTC 2017

On 02/09/2017 05:12 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi Peter:  I currently have two boxes with recent 'buntu downloads -
> and at present neither of them can connect to its database :-( So I'm
> familiar with the recurrent setup screen.
>
> But I also sometimes use a laptop and smart-ish tv in a location
> without direct internet access or router, with just a crossover
> ethernet cable connecting the laptop and the tv.  That uses link-local
> addressing and works well for playback via uPnP.  For other myth
> operations the tv has to be continuously powered, of course.
>
> John P

Hi John

That is interesting. So for those kind of really simple networks the
link-local address makes sense.

The change I have committed only affects two things - the prompt to
"select a backend" when you either run "mythfrontend -p", and when you
have installed a frontend for the first time and it is searching for a
suitable backend.

That process was broken anyway in 0.28 - it was using the link-local
address and failing.

So my change should not affect your laptop and TV setup. Let me know if
the change does cause any problem, or if you see how it could be improved.

Peter