[mythtv] ttvdb v2 support for 0.27 (and IPv6)

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Thu Aug 31 22:38:48 UTC 2017

On 08/31/2017 03:15 PM, faginbagin wrote:
> Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to reply, life ...
>
> I think we are having a "failure to communicate". I understand that
> BackendServerAddr does not exist in 0.27, but BackendServerIP and
> BackendServerIP6 does exist and that the ability to connect to the
> backend via IPv6 was supposedly supported since 0.25. I was asking for
> clarification about database.py because you said:
>
> "In v0.27, without those changes, the database connection did not work
> on IPV6 anyway. So as long as it still works on IPV4 you will not
> impact anybody."
>
> However, the code in question in database.py was not for connecting to
> the database (e.g. mysqld), it was for finding the right IP address to
> connect to the master backend. So I was, in essence, asking; Are you
> sure the code in question did not support connecting to the backend
> over IPv6?

Sorry for the confusion. There was recently a bug in the database
connection logic in one of the bindings, where it was neglecting to put
square brackets around the IPV6 address when connecting to the database
with IPV6, so that would not have worked in v0.27. I am not sure now
whether it was perl or python bindings that were affected, so my comment
may be incorrect.

As far as connecting to the backend over IPV6, I am not sure about that.
Although the code was supposed to support IPV6 there were some bugs that
were fixed in 29, so some things did not work correctly over IPV6.

> As for how I brought in Mark's changes, I did it before his pull
> request was accepted. So I generated a pull request from his fork to
> mine, brought it into a branch off of master on my fork, created a new
> branch off of 0.27 and then cherry picked his commits into that
> branch. Feel free to check my work.

OK sounds good. However I am not experienced with python so it would be
better if Mark could validate them.