[mythtv] Additional run-time dependencies

Werner Mahr werner at vollstreckernet.de
Fri Aug 18 08:18:45 UTC 2017

Am Donnerstag, 17. August 2017, 19:57:10 CEST schrieb Gary Buhrmaster:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Werner Mahr <werner at vollstreckernet.de>
wrote:
> > Maybe it's an old discussion (I didn't find anything), but why has this to
> > be done in a python script? There are already many http-related things in
> > various lib in mythtv, so I'm sure it could be done with Qt without new
> > deps.
> Technically, I would expect that the majority of the
> code could have be written in any almost any
> language, but the existing V1 ttvdb API code is
> python, and I would presume the people working
> on the upgrade decided to stay in what already
> (mostly) works.

Technically spoken, it can be done in any lang. But if the lang needs
additions that are hard to package, it's worth a second thought.

> There was a "call to action" email that went out asking
> for volunteers, and you likely should have raised your
> hand then to offer your (pure?) Qt code variant.  Have
> you compared your Qt code version with the output
> of the python code version?

Strange, I ak for a reason and get told to do it better. This change has
potential to piss users (as the maybe have to do manual install beside their
pakage-manager) and to piss pakagers (as the maybe have to do backports of
pakages they never had contact with). Thankfully Karl understood the question
and just answered it.

If I would have started the work on this, and get the reason why it's not done
that way afterwards, I would have wasted much time. Time I need to dig through
the code, the find the places I need to use to set a new recorder, get the
right UI-controls, get it into the database, get it configured for chan-
scanning and so on.

--
MfG. usw.

Werner Mahr