[mythtv] Additional run-time dependencies

Mark Spieth mark at digivation.com.au
Thu Aug 17 13:57:57 UTC 2017

On 8/17/2017 11:39 PM, David Hampton wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 08:21 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Hi Thomas
>>
>> There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
>> additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to
>> the
>> python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done
>> before
>> October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.
>>
>> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
>> following additional package installed:
>>
>> python-pip
>>
>> Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):
>>
>> pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests
>>
>> I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code
>> change
>> the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change.
>> The
>> dependencies can be installed before the code change without causing
>> any
>> problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
>> will cause metadata jobs to fail.
> Peter,
>
> This wants to install a bunch of dev packages on my production machine.
>
> selene$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
> [sudo] password for david:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following additional packages will be installed:
>    build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-5 libalgorithm-diff-perl
>    libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libexpat1-dev
>    libfakeroot libpython-all-dev libpython-dev libpython2.7-dev
>    libstdc++-5-dev python-all python-all-dev python-dev python-pip-whl
>    python-setuptools python-wheel python2.7-dev
> Suggested packages:
>    debian-keyring g++-multilib g++-5-multilib gcc-5-doc libstdc++6-5-dbg
>    libstdc++-5-doc python-setuptools-doc
>
> Is there something being installed through pip that can't be gotten
> from an existing package?
Note that pip is only required for those distributions that have
insufficient versions of the afore mentioned packages.
for debian these are
python-requests >= 2.11.1 but not sure of the minimum requirement. Works
fine with 2.18.1 too. Peter can you give your insufficient versions so
that we have a range for the transition. The method
remove_expired_responses() is the base requirement for CachedSession so
that can be tested for.
python-requests-cache 0.14.3 also not sure of the minimum requirement.

There will be equivalents for fedora and others. Note that I use debian
testing but don't update that frequently.
the equivalent python3 packages could also be included as the new one
works with py3 too.

pip is only required when the distribution is too old to provide
sufficient versions. There could be an apt-get install these 2 packages,
test for sufficiency and only then resort to pip.

HTH
mark