[mythtv] Pull requests instructions may be wrong

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:41:29 UTC 2017

On 08/16/2017 01:43 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> There are instructions for installing pull requests in trac
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/GitHubPullRequests
>
> However, if the person submitting the request had some additional commits of his own that he made before he created the pull request branch,
> they will also be merged if you follow these instructions. That will be at odds with what is shown on github, which assumes that only commits
> made after that branch was created should be merged into the main code.
>
> I am far from an expert on git, but I discovered this by merging Mark's pull request into my own github repo. I got one extra commit that was
> not listed in the pull request.
>
> I suggest that merging a pull request needs to cherry-pick all of the listed commits. Multiple commits can be converted to one commit using the
> "-n" option of cherry-pick. If it was too large (dozens of commits) a diff could be made between before and after the pull branch and that could
> be applied.
>
> Am I correct? Any comments? Should I update those instructions in trac?
>
> On the other hand, if we are soon moving source off trac and using git directly, maybe it should be updated then, with github instructions,
> which presumably will do the right thing.
>
> Peter

My comment: I missed that. Did a diff of the unlisted commit (fb135)
and the next one (4335):

1c1
< commit fb135bee18b6ec758378502db549b60179412bc9
---
 > commit 4335d4027537dd7eca568b0b0ff7665e491c09d6
5,6d4
<     #13084 More ttvdb fixes
<
10c8
<     * Ipstream tolerate missing cache _ignored_parameters attribute
---
 >     * Upstream tolerate missing cache _ignored_parameters attribute

At least it looks harmless. Maybe the result of a git commit --amend?

--
Bill