[mythtv] Pull requests instructions may be wrong

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Wed Aug 16 18:43:17 UTC 2017

There are instructions for installing pull requests in trac

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/GitHubPullRequests

However, if the person submitting the request had some additional
commits of his own that he made before he created the pull request
branch, they will also be merged if you follow these instructions. That
will be at odds with what is shown on github, which assumes that only
commits made after that branch was created should be merged into the
main code.

I am far from an expert on git, but I discovered this by merging Mark's
pull request into my own github repo. I got one extra commit that was
not listed in the pull request.

I suggest that merging a pull request needs to cherry-pick all of the
listed commits. Multiple commits can be converted to one commit using
the "-n" option of cherry-pick. If it was too large (dozens of commits)
a diff could be made between before and after the pull branch and that
could be applied.

Am I correct? Any comments? Should I update those instructions in trac?

On the other hand, if we are soon moving source off trac and using git
directly, maybe it should be updated then, with github instructions,
which presumably will do the right thing.

Peter