[mythtv] Are there Memory leaks in 0.28 Mythfrontend?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 16:09:35 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:14 PM, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
> I'm seeing more and more that memory is creeping up on the frontend process,
> is this a known issue?

I do not think it is known (otherwise it would be fixed),
but one should also be aware that due to caching, the
memory footprint of the frontend would be expected
to slowly increase (to some value) the longer it is
running, so what you are seeing may be "normal".

> what troubleshooting do I need to provide to raise a bug? from previous
> threads I think this required valgrind? but can someone confirm?

valgrind is your friend to detect true memory leaks
(as opposed to code not minimizing memory usage).
Using it, is not always.

To obtain useful results you may need to compile the
frontend with the debugging options (-g and -O0).
Typically, you want to use something like this:

valgrind --leak-check=full --error-limit=no --show-reachable=yes
--log-file=/tmp/valgrind.out /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend

Lastly, Qt itself may be the cause of any memory
leaks, and debugging Qt itself is far more challenging.