[mythtv] Q about networking after recent networking improvements in master

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 15:25:28 UTC 2017

On 04/15/2017 04:24 PM, Bill Meek wrote:

>    net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 2
>    net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr = 2

Replying to myself (or correcting)

# Acceptable values:
#    0 - don’t use privacy extensions.
#    1 - generate privacy addresses
#    2 - prefer privacy addresses and use them over the normal addresses.

On my test box where I changed 2 to 0, I switched it back to 2.

The problem had nothing to do with MythTV, as expected. Rather,
when I powered on a remote host (FE), routing wasn't created
for the ULA I installed *manually* (on the BE), it was for the one created
by the kernel of the backend under test.

I could add the route for the manually created ULA, but that's
extra work users shouldn't need to worry about.

When I look at my 14.04 production BE, it has tempaddr = 2
but works fine. It's on the 15.10 box where I see the issue.

For 14.04 (kernel 3.13) no ULAs are created automatically.
For 15.10 (kernel 4.8.0) they are. Can't remember 15.04
and 17.04 (kernel 4.10) they aren't. But I just loaded
that yesterday afternoon on my laptop.

The ideal case seems to let the kernel develop/announce
the ULAs, assuming folks choose to mimic IPv4 Private
Network addresses.

I haven't figured out why 3.13 and 4.10 aren't creating
ULAs. Been looking at sysctl output, but no success.

--
Bill