[mythtv] Q about networking after recent networking improvements in master

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 14:44:38 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> wrote:
> Do most routers have that ability? I would like to control my ULA addresses,
> or at least be sure they will not change if the router is recycled or for
> any other reason.

I can't say much about devices which like to
claim to be a router in the consumer space,
but I believe most real routers do.  I can offer
both my dhcpv6-pd provided GUA addresses
and my ULA addresses to my systems via
router advertisements from my router (an
edgerouter)

For those that have chosen solutions that
are not compliant with the RFC 7084 (basic
router requirements for IPv6) SHOULD
regarding IPv6 ULA generation, I suppose one
could consider running a few radvd instances
on a few (minimal) systems to advertise the
local ULA prefix (a few instances to provide a
bit of redundancy) if your consumer gateway
does not give you the ability to configure your
RAs.

In any case ULAs are certainly not a common
configuration in the current consumer space,
even though ULA was expected to exist in
Homenet (ietf ipv6 home networking principals)
implementations, so should that effort move
forward, I would expect more implementations
to become compliant.