[mythtv] Myth Services API - Authentication

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:05:58 UTC 2016

On 09/18/2016 03:41 PM, Kai T. Hillmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as i'm using the services api partly for a while now - i'm a bit
> confused on the services api password authentication...
>
> As described in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/API_parameters_0.28
>
> Myth/ChangePassword should be there to change the password - from
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming_Server i conclude that
> admin/mythtv are the default credentials.
>
> So far everything works as expected using admin/mythtv as api
> credentials - i'm able to use all needed services api methods with
> python requests... BUT trying to change this default password using the
> above api method Myth/ChangePassword leads to 501 Not Implemented...
>
> Any hints? Is the password change api method really not implemented? And
> if it is not - where do i change the api password instead?
> An additional question would be whether it is possible to add another
> user oder change username from admin to xyz..?

It is implemented. From the command line, try this:

     curl --data UserName=admin\&OldPassword=mythtv\&NewPassword=somethingElse <BE>:6544/Myth/ChangePassword

It works from Python requests too. There's exactly one HTTP/Protected/Password
to answer your last question.

If you haven't, tail the backend log when trying the above. mythbackend
--setverbose http:debug may help.

If you've set HTTP/Protected/Urls to: /, for example, there's a different
answer (I'll assume you didn't do that.)

--
Bill