[mythtv] Status of Schedules Direct SD-JSON grabbers

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 01:00:02 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> In every way but one, the xmltv/json data is better than the 'native'
> scheduledirect.  With the json data, I am getting even better than 14 days
> of data.  The json data also has the potential to provide us with accurate
> 'artwork' (Myth's current metadata grabber gets it wrong over 10% of the
> time, for me).
>
> The one place where (at least Gary's) xmltv json grabber falls short, is
> that the cast is all lumped together.  Guest stars are not separated from
> the normal cast, for example.  I believe Gary said that that is a
> limitation of xmltv and not the json data.  I don't know what it would take
> to update the xmltv standard to allow for that.

With the Olympics coming up, I noticed another issue.  I usually use a
'Sports event' category for sports related power rules.  With the old
'native' schedules direct data, I see "Category: Sports event, Olympics,
Water polo, Rugby, Beach volleyball, Table tennis" (for example).  With the
XMLTV feed into myth, all I see is "Category: Olympics".     Gary noticed
this problem as well, and has created patches to fix it:

 https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12742

I have been pretty swamped lately, but if no one else looks at these
patches over the next week, I will try to review them.

John