[mythtv] mythfilldatabase, Schedules Direct, json and xmltv

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:28:32 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:

> We really should push to get this included in XMLTV as an official grabber
> it is far superior to the one in there now :) It supports more of the XMLTV
> API like the --configure-api and --list-channels etc which we could make use
> of if/when setup is revamped.

actually --get-lineup is the potential big potential win, but
(a) there is no current support in MythTV for it, and (b) The
Schedules Direct data is currently challenged for a
number of channels (but it might get more attention if
the data was used), and (c) the xmltv project has not
formally agreed on what --get-lineup should return (it
was a proposal by dekarl).

> It did require a few extra dependencies in both Gentoo and Mythbuntu.

Yep, any new perl program, and especially one that uses
so many existing CPAN modules may mean a new set of
dependencies.  The standard perl problem, Those are
packaging issues, and presumably would be dealt with by
the packager (and many of the major package formats can
(somewhat) automatically create the package dependencies
(dh-make-perl for deb, find-requires for rpm)).

> I also came across a problem with Digest::SHA1 which doesn't appear to exist
> in either Gentoo or Mythbuntu since it's now built in to perl but as
> Digest::SHA.

Actually, Digest::SHA1 and Digest::SHA are different animals,
and Digest::SHA1 is still available, but not (by default)
packaged in all distributions (although if you look around,
others have packaged it for most distros even if it was
dropped by the main distro (likely) because their programs
used Digest::SHA1).  Digest::SHA includes the functionality
of Digest::SHA1 (for compatibility), and there are reasons
that debians decision was arguably correct to drop packaging
Digest::SHA1, as it was a subset, and people should not use
SHA1 unless they know what they are doing, but it is also
arguably wrong as it forced other packagers on debian to
create patches for up-streams use of Digest::SHA1 and
carry them for the foreseeable future.  But it is what it is.

In any case, another reported the issue, and after reviewing
that most recent distros also support Digest::SHA, a patch
was applied to master the other day (what, you are
not running master?).