[mythtv] mythfilldatabase, Schedules Direct, json and xmltv

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 21:29:57 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> wrote:

>  MythTV is a victim of its own success.

And I think it is also a victim of (lack of) user expectation
setting in terms of new features or bug priorities.

> While on the topic, your tv_grab_na_sd mentions in the comments, in the
> title and other places that it is for North America. Is there any reason
> it cannot be used elsewhere?

No, but when it was written(*), the only lineups were NA.
There has been some discussion (well, lack of recent
discussion) on the xmltv lists as to what a "all region"
grabber should be named using the xmltv use of two
letter country codes.  For example, the tv_grab_sd_json
grabber, based on the xmltv naming convention, should
be for sudan (sd).

Only recently has Schedules Direct provided other
region data.  And until it did, there was no way to
test, and so certainly I would never have wanted to
claim it supported anything *but* NA, where I could
test, and validate (again, based on when it started).

Gary

(*) The code might appear recently from some of
the commit times, but the original start (before it
was operational, and the approaches have changed
a few times between then and now) was closer to
18-20 months ago.