[mythtv] Status of Schedules Direct SD-JSON grabbers

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jul 15 19:00:40 UTC 2016

On 07/15/2016 11:44 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Was any decision reached as to the recommended approach for getting the
> SD-JSON data into MythTV? I think there were three competing packages
> for doing this:
>
> - package from XMLTV
> - package from Robert K
> - package from Gary Buhrmaster
>
> Can/should the USA users switch to SD-JSON data?

Of course you can. The downloads are faster. Duplicate data is not
repeated, and only changed/additional data is pulled when doing daily
updates. Daily updates mainly consist of adding future program info
which has become available.

> I believe that this may
> provide a full 14 days of data instead of the 12 that the grabber
> currently provides.

I have been using Robert K's mfdb-json package since the earliest alpha
versions. I get 20 to 22 days of data and the downloads take about one
tenth the time. I used to run -dd-grab-all to ensure the latest data. No
longer necessary.

> Also you may be able to eventually retire the server
> or service that currently translates the SD-JSON data for the MythTV
> download.

There is no translation or other server required. It natively produces
and inserts data into the mythconverg database.

I use mfdb-json by way of a wrapper script which calls the program from
mythtv (set at about page 5 or 6 of mythtv-setup -> general

I call the wrapper script 'grabber2'

#!/bin/bash
# /usr/local/bin/grabber2

# I have a problem with my cable service losing DNS after long periods
# This forces the cable DNS to 'wake up' by requesting an external IP

/usr/bin/ping -c 2 sentex.ca
cd /usr/local/bin/mfdb-json

#  Pull the latest version: this is why I haven't had
#  to touch the setup in some time
/usr/bin/git pull
/usr/bin/git branch

# this is the actual invocation
/usr/local/bin/mfdb-json/mfdb-json.php  --x --force --dbhost=localhost
--dbname=mythconverg --dbuser=mythtv --dbpassword=mythtv
--user=yourSDusername--password=yourSDpassword --skiplogo
exit

Works like a charm with mythtv.

Geoff

--