[mythtv] State of Raspberry Pi 2 build

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Fri Jan 29 20:14:51 UTC 2016

On 01/28/2016 04:56 PM, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>> In the mean time: may You do me favor and try MinMyth2 RPI edition?
>> I’m wonder what difference will be in playback between Your master build on Raspbian and mine in MiniMyth2….
>> (don’t forget to do „pacman -Syu" update Minimyth2 system before tests)

Hi Piotr

I tried your minimyth2. It looks good!
Here is my detailed feedback -
The tar xvf needs an option added "--numeric-owner" at the end. Without
that option the mythtv home directory and its files got owner id of 200,
which is the id of the mythtv user on my system, and would not match 997
which is the id of mythtv on the minimyth2 image.
First boot up went to prompt for country and language, then it took a
long time to come to the prompt for selecting your backend. Then it
showed one entry in the list, named "Firewall". Why is it showing Firewall?
After I selected Firewall it took a long time and then said "Unknown Error".
After the unknown error it came back to the selection so I selected
"Manual" instead of "Firewall".
After i selected manual it came to black screen (which you said was
expected).
At black screen I killed mythfrontend, nothing happened and I killed it
again.
After this it came back to the Country and Language prompt. I entered
them again, and it just came back to Country and Language, over and over.
I rebooted, then it started up at the mythtv main menu.
I used setup and selected Mythcenter theme.
I tried playing a recording and got "Audio Disabled" message. Video
looked ok.
I went into audio setup and just selected the default that came up
(Alsa:default), and hit next up to the end of the setting.
After this I tried playing the recording again and audio works.
Audio and video are jerky, I think the video is too slow and audio is
stopping and starting.
Audio is scratchy unless I set maximum volume in Mythtv. I don't think
this happens with my Raspbian setup.
I have had jerky audio and video with Raspbian and eglfs - I think that
xcb will work better. How do I get X11 on miminyth?
I went into mythtv setup to try to reduce the picture size so that it
could handle overscan, but the same problem exists as with eglfs on
Raspbian - the X and Y offset are ignored and the "Use GUI size for TV
playback" setting is ignored. All of these things work with xcb.
There is a bug in my current 0.27 raspberry pi frontend - in a recording
if the resolution changes the frontend crashes. - This bug is now fixed
in minimyth2. Maybe this is fixed in master.
There is no way to shut it down. However I suppose raspberry pi can just
be left on. In my own setup I use a shell script that prompts for you to
press 22 on the remote to start up the front end. It comes back to this
prompt every time you exit the front end. I exit the front end, which
lets the backend shut down.

Can you explain how you built this? The one I built does not work and I
thought it was because LVR's patches were not there. Did you do any
patches? Did you cross-compile from a Linux box? I would be interested
to try what you did, to see if it will work on Raspbian.

Peter