[mythtv] State of Raspberry Pi 2 build

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 21:14:24 UTC 2016

I have been trying to build mythtv master (pre-0.28) from github for the
raspberry pi 2  version over the past few days, using the cross compile
script created by Lawrence Rust.

The build is a little different because
1. It is a cross compile from x64 to Raspberry Pi
2. It uses QT version 5.4.0, while Raspberry Pi Jessie comes with QT 5.3
3. I has to build for openmax video output.

Lawrence has supplied three patches for QT 5.4.0. QT 5.4.0 has to be
downloaded and built as there is no download of object code QT 5.4.0 for
raspberry pi. It builds ok with the patches.

Lawrence has also supplied 295 patches to mythtv.

By default the script he supplied does not apply the mythtv patches. It
is possible to run the resulting 0.28 frontend on the raspberry pi but
many things do not work, including audio and video. It is also popping
up a message every few seconds asking whether to use images, video or
audio for the gallery.

I attempted applying the patches (by enabling an option in Lawrence's
script). 16 patches were rejected, and several others complained that
they could not patch a binary file (png file). The build script carries
on regardless and then fails quite soon with messages "#else without
#if" and "#endif without #if". I believe the rejected patches are
causing this failure.

I can go through the patches and attempt to fix them. I started looking
at them. The first rejection is fine - the change is already present in
the code. The second is simple, one of the match lines has had a small
change which causes a mismatch. The patch actually adds about 3000 lines
of code if it is successful and the description is "UPNP MediaRenderer
support".

Is there any plan for this? I have been watching mythtv on raspberry pi
with great success using Lawrence's 0.27 pre built version, but we will
need a way to build the raspberry pi version in future, and the more
changes go into the code, the more these patches will fail.

Should I attempt to fix the patches and see what the result is, or is
there a better plan?

Peter