[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Jan 10 11:01:12 UTC 2016

On 10/01/16 00:56, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Damn...
>
> I've spent the last two days upgrading my 12.04 to 14.04.
>
> Time wasted mostly on my custom php and various scripts that no longer
> run :(
>
> Personally, I think continuing to support Qt 4 is silly. We are
> already stretched thing enough, not adding even more old crap because
> the user is unwilling to spend some times upgrading. But I guess free
> developer time isn't as expensive as the user enjoying his work right?
>
> Time spent supporting obsolete code, is time not spent on new features.

It's difficult to criticise a dev who wants to work on these things but
I have to agree this backwards compatible stuff is getting a little out
of hand. If we had the resources to maintain and test each and every
version things would be different but it's hard enough for me to test
clean master and 0.27-fixes without adding does it still work with Qt4
and Qt5 and what about that 5 year old version someone is still using!

We need to be making Myth easier to support not harder. Adding hack on
top of hack to keep old versions happy is not the way to go.

This would be time better spent elsewhere like making Myth easier to
setup and upgrade so more users would likely upgrade sooner and wouldn't
need to keep these old versions running IMHO.

Paul H.