[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Nicolas Riendeau mythtv at riendeau.org
Sat Jan 9 15:52:06 UTC 2016

Hi Lawrence,

On 1/9/2016 10:19 AM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> This isn't about new customers, it's about keeping and encouraging
> existing ones - maximising the user base.

Euh, when we release a new version of MythTV does the previous release
stop working for everyone who has it installed?

I have seen people mentioning they were still running very old version
of MythTV without any problems...

It's their choice to update or not...

>> Certainly post 0.28 maintaining QT 4 support would be impossible since it
>> would preclude us taking advantage of any QT 5 features.
>
> Not impossible, just more thought provoking.  It doesn't prevent the
> development of code using new Qt features, only they are conditionally
> compiled.

And then you have parts of the application most of the developers can no
longer test because they no longer have the proper Qt version to test
them...

 > That will really minimise the user base.

If we start releasing things most us of can no longer test properly and
end up crashing for people which have not updated their Qt version that
too will minimize the user base...

I would even dare to say that it will shrink it more...

(I personally stop using some programs when they get too unstable...)

I agree that for a library or component you which is not as tightly
coupled with the OS and application this is doable but I don't think
that's the case with Qt and MythTV...

Take this with a grain of salt though because while I am a MythTV
developer I am a minor one because of my (relatively) limited grasp of
C/C++...

(I am responsible for the translation stuff...)

In the applications we release at work we update from time to time the
libraries that we use but none of them are as tightly coupled with the
OS and the application as Qt seems to be...

Talking of translations I see that the file format is starting to change
with Qt 5 and I am not willing to bet they support using a translation
file produced with the Qt 5 tools with Qt 4. Maybe they do but I think
adding support for so many versions of Qt is a lot more than just
condtionnally compiling...

> When Ubuntu 16.04 or FC24 ship will you deprecate Qt 5.4 usage to take
> advantage of C++11 compiler features in Qt5.5 like lamdas, const_exprs
> etc ?  That will really minimise the user base.

You know fully well that's not the case...

Have a nice day,

Nicolas