[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 14:16:06 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-01-09 at 12:21 +0100, Kenni Lund wrote:

> >> Bah, correction.
> >>
> >> 12.04 will not get 0.28, as it doesn't have a new enough Qt version.
> >
> > Thomas,
> >
> > I have for some time now, and will continue to, build and run master on
> > my 12.04 LTS systems with several patches that restore support for Qt
> > 4.8.  (I'll probably build a new box for 16.04 LTS and migrate then).
> > There's no loss of functionality, although the 'New Image Gallery' has
> > minor limitations.  It's possible to support Qt 4.6 (for plain Centos 6)
> > with these changes.
> >
> > Would there be any point in folding the patches into 1 and adding it to
> > master - they don't change anything for Qt5 and there's no real long
> > term support issue?
>
> Is that really something we want to do? It sounds like a bad tradeoff
> to me. 12.04 LTS is EOL in around one year anyway, so now would be a
> good time for 12.04 users to start their migration to 14.04 or 16.04.
> Re-introducing support for deprecated Qt versions, which also brings
> limitations in MythTV functionality and more code complexity, sounds
> like the wrong direction.
>
> Anyway, I believe that this decision would be something for the
> developer group to decide, as we have already decided to drop the Qt 4
> support and have announced this publicly[1].
>
> [1] https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=714

We didn't deprecate Newtonian mechanics when Relativity came along.
When Windows came along it didn't deprecate DOS and when Linus Torvalds
delivered Linux we didn't deprecate Windows (unforunately ;-) - some
foresighted folks (Wine, ndiswrapper, Qemu, dosbox etc) even realised
that running Windows code on Linux provided an expanded user base and
potential for greater adoption.  We stand on the shoulders of giants,
not rise like a phoenix from ashes.

Forcing a vanishingly small percentage of the total PC market to use
only the latest, brightest toys is not a long term recipe for survival.
Ubuntu 12.04 is just 3 years old, hardly decrepit, but you're suggesting
we ignore all those users.  The only winners here are the style gurus,
Apple, who would have you believe that anything non-white and older than
18 months is history.

I don't want to support a 20 year old code base like Windows did (before
10) but at least 5 years seem appropriate.  It isn't difficult to
provide legacy support and it often provides mechanisms to more easily
move forward.

We have been discussing backwards compatibility for Myth in terms of the
comms protocol and database.  It isn't difficult to do and has great
benefits in maintaining user numbers.

--
Lawrence Rust