[mythtv] Reducing frontend startup time

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 22:42:21 UTC 2016

On 01/08/2016 01:54 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've put together 5 patches on the devel/lvr/startup branch which
> together considerably reduce the startup time on remote frontends.  The
> saving is especially significant on my Raspberry Pi's where the time is
> reduced from around 15 seconds down to 5.
>
> The changes mainly introduce static caches around MySQL select
> operations that retrieve static settings.  I've also included a patch to
> UPnP startup to make the UPnP announcement run in it's own thread and so
> not delay the main thread - this saves a second or so.
>
> I've been using these patches on my own systems for a couple of years
> now.  But before I pushed I wanted to give everyone a chance to comment
> on them as they have a significant impact on the database.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Lawrence

You have been posting changes for some time now, and I would like to try
them. I have not done a build yet, just used your precompiled archive
files up to now. Can I do a build using the instructions in
mythtv_for_rpi.txt, substituting the github repo for the
www.softsystem.co.uk repo? Must I still use mythbuild.sh or can I use
./configure and make? Is mythbuild.sh now in github? Can the same github
branch be built for x86_64 and for arm?

Thanks
Peter