[mythtv] Backwards compatibility

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Thu Jan 7 18:50:06 UTC 2016

On Jan 7, 2016 10:06 AM, "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> > It's also part of the logserver which has been disable for 0.28.
> >
> > So if we want it it needs surgically separating from the logserver
> > and the nzmqt (qt interface for 0mq) needs updating.
> >
> > I have a vague recollection of issues with nzmqt before.
>
> The author of 0MQ moved on after realizing that writing
> the solution in C++ was a mistake (I lost track of the
> name of the rewrite).

The author was talking specifically about 0mq, which even though the
official interface is C uses C++ to implement:
http://250bpm.com/blog:4

0mq is great, but it provides no help with the protocol. Protocol buffers
are nice, msgpack is popular, cereal also does some work for you:
http://uscilab.github.io/cereal/

Erik Hovland
mailto: erik at hovland.org