[mythtv] Backwards compatibility

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Thu Jan 7 09:24:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 20:09 -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 06:59:12PM +0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
> > It's kind of telling the only replies you got are from non developers who
> > don't have to maintain this :)
>
> You noticed that too!
>
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 08:28:53AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > The more correct way to do so IMHO would be to stop having front ends
> > directly connect to the MySQL database and instead go via the backend. So
> > that way we don't have to rely on a schema at all.
>
> Right.  As long as all components access the database directly, a lot
> of compatibility support will be hard and fraught with peril.  I don't
> think we have any chance of doing it well until all database access is
> exclusively done throught the master backend.  That means everything
> else has to use the Myth protocol, or even better, the services API
> through the master.

David,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Agreed, reflecting all FE database requests to the master BE is the way
forward.  The down side is latency so the mechanism has to be fast and
caching and cache coherency have to be up to scratch.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel so I'd like to use an existing
lightweight RPC mechanism (something that doesn't use JSON or XML etc).
The Myth protocol, although clunky, looks as if it better fits those
requirements.  I'm not familiar with the services API but at 1st looks
it appears to have much higher overhead and latency.  Please correct me
if I'm mistaken...

--
Lawrence Rust