[mythtv] Looking for the subtitle code in mythfrontend?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:50:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Kingsley Turner <krt at krt.com.au> wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I've a few minor things with the way mythtv handles subtitles I want to
> have a look at.
>    #1 existing subtitles disappearing before time - then re-appearing,
> when a new subtitle is added (results in flashing subtitles)
>    #2 pre-rendering subtitles before playback for slow frontends and/or
> heavy karaoke-style subtitle streams
>
> I'm having trouble finding the subtitle handling code in mythfrontend.
> Is there a video player module where the video is decompressed and the
> subtitles added ?
>
> I've been recursively searching the code base for things like "subtitle",
> "srt", "ass", etc.  But only finding meta-data handling.
>
> Most of the caption/subtitle layout is handled in
libs/libmythtv/subtitlescreen.cpp .  The main entry point into this code
is SubtitleScreen::Pulse().  Depending on the kind of subtitles being
displayed, this code consumes caption data that has been decoded by the the
video decoder thread.  See for example the cc608*.cpp and cc708*.cpp files.

If you're looking for teletext subtitles, those are handled separately in
teletextscreen.cpp.

For your pre-rendering use case, you might want to look at the
mythccextractor application.

Jim