[mythtv] Captions/subtitles partially broken by mythrender_opengl.cpp commit

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 17:33:37 UTC 2016

[This is mostly directed to lvr since I don't really know how this part of
the code base works.]

Regarding commit a437b178, "UI: Avoid texture memory exhaustion by
shrinking the painter image cache".

The change to mythrender_opengl.cpp, where ClearTexture() now fails if
glCheck() reports an error, is having a weird effect on closed caption
display on my systems.

When it tries to draw the first line of text, glCheck() fails for some
reason and nothing is drawn.  Subsequent caption lines display fine.  The
black background rectangles display fine.  Repeated messages like this
appear in the logs:

2016-01-03 18:09:29.515569 E  OpenGL: : 1281 @ mythrender_opengl.cpp, 1481
2016-01-03 18:09:29.515582 E  OpenGL: glTexImage size 180096 failed
2016-01-03 18:09:29.518569 E  Failed to create OpenGL texture.

The log lines repeat once per video frame.

Reverting that glCheck() call makes everything work fine.

I see this with both cc708 and srt captions.  For some recordings, the
first few captions will display fine, but then it drops into the mode where
the first text line fails.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem and has any ideas.

Jim