[mythtv] mythbackend: Suppress timestamp in log?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:15:27 UTC 2016

On 02/19/2016 11:34 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Since I log to the journal I already get a timestamp, getting two takes up
> lots of columns and makes the log much more difficult to read.
>
> Do you automatically get a timestamp when logging to syslog? Could
> supression of the timestamp be added to the --syslog command line option?

I did two things for journal-only logging:

In the .unit file, add --quiet to the backend startup ExecStart line (as
opposed to redirecting the stdout/err to /dev/null [why send something to
the console only to throw it away].)

In /etc/systemd/journald.conf, I uncommented and set to no the following:
ForwardToSyslog=no. Not sure if systemd-journald was the only thing restarted,
or if I just did a warm boot to be sure.

The remaining issue is duplicate program names (mythbackend[2090]: mythbackend[2090]:)
and I haven't looked into that one.

This is Ubuntu 15.10 and 0.28-beta FYI.

--
Bill