[mythtv] Adding RunningStatus information to DVB EIT processing

roger roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 15:29:31 UTC 2016

Hi StuartA, Dekarl, et al.

Have any of you guys been thinking more about adding DVB Running Status
information to our EIT processing. In some discussions on EIT tables we
had a long time ago, I mentioned that I was thinking of looking into it.
It has got to the top of my list again :-)

Running Status is used in a number of areas of the DVB spec, but the one
of interest is the running status contained in the EIT. This gives the
on air status of an EIT entry.

0 - undefined
1 - not running
2 - starts in a few seconds
3 - pausing
4 - running
5 - service off air
6,7 - reserved for future use

So I think it might be a good idea to use the scheduled start time from
the EIT to cold start the backend (idle shutdown/wakeup) and the running
status to start the recording or stop recording. State 2 is specifically
provided for this purpose. State 3 is intended for multi part events
e.g. a long film interrupted by the news (It may also be useful for
marking commercial breaks).

DVB also provides a Running Status table. This table is intended to
provide near real time updating to the running status field of
individual EIT entries.

I have more thoughts on this, but I would like get feedback first.

Any comments?

Roger