[mythtv] Github tarball from commit can change

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Sep 28 15:01:45 UTC 2015

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 28/09/15 14:34, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>
>> Pulling the tar ball will always pull the latest and greatest.
>> Any change to fixes/0.27 will result in a different tarball to
>> the previous download.
>>
>> There may be a way of telling it to pull at a specific commit,
>> but haven't looked at it
>
> There is. See e. g.,
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL?rd=Packaging/SourceURL#Git_Hosting_Services

Thanks, Alec, that is what I am doing except that I just use the short hash (“e9b577d3”) rather than the 40-character full hash.  If I should be using the full hash, I can do that.

AIUI, this causes GitHub to deliver a compressed tarball of a snapshot of the project as of that commit.  GitHub creates these tarballs and caches them for some unknown length of time.  GitHub _should_ be able to re-create the tarball if the cached version is no longer available since the snapshot should be exactly the same.

My WAG is that the file that differs (‘EXPORTED_VERSION’) is generated by a git hook.  It may be that the hook works differently depending on whether the commit hash is the lastest in that branch or not.  I know almost nothing about such hooks, however, so I could be entirely wrong.

Craig