[mythtv] Running AutoExpire::Update in a separate thread

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 05:21:59 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

David mentioned that the AutoExpire code is your baby.  At the bottom of
Scheduler::HandleRecording() there is a call to:

m_expirer->Update(ri.GetCardID(), fsID, true);

I would like to change that to

m_expirer->Update(ri.GetCardID(), fsID, false);

so it runs in a separate thread.  There are times in a heavily loaded
machine where that call can take tens of seconds to return which can delay
recordings from starting on time.  David does not see any issues with that
change, but I though I should ask you first.

David suggests changing it to:

             // activate auto
expirer
-            if
(m_expirer)

-                m_expirer->Update(ri.GetCardID(), fsID,
true);
+            if (m_expirer && recStatus ==
rsTuning)
+                m_expirer->Update(ri.GetCardID(), fsID,
false);

}

     }

Any objections?