[mythtv] Updating the wiki

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Sat Jun 27 15:58:23 UTC 2015

Hi Paul

I found a mediawiki extension that can automatically provide the sidebar
table of contents used by the user manual. The table of contents is
generated from the categories of the pages in the requested hierarchy.
There is an example of how it works at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTree#The_.3Ccategorytree.3E_tag
. I have checked, this extension is installed on Wikipedia and has been
around for some time, so it should be safe and bug free.

This will make it much easier to add pages to the user manual, or
rearrange the hierarchy when necessary.

Can we get this installed? I am willing to do it if you feel comfortable
with giving me access to the server.

My plan is to start moving information from the Official documentation
to the user manual at the same time updating what is out of date and
noting it as being current with version 0.27. The table of contents
would only be switched once all the categories are in place and it is
working correctly when viewed on a separate page. (The table of contents
can be previewed by viewing The Special:CategoryTree page).

Details of the extension:
Extension:CategoryTree
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTree#The_.3Ccategorytree.3E_tag
Installation Instructions: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Extensions