[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Would a capture card by any other name still record as sweet?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Jan 21 16:09:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 09:55:35AM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:35:50PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > > There's a development effort underway to, among other things, change
> > > the two-level capturce card and card input model that MythTV has used
> > > for years into a one-level model.
> >
> > My response will probably go into the permanent-moderation file*, but...
> >
> > Why?  The current model takes note of the fact that devices are often
> > grouped, and the scheduler needs to know about it, and also that grouped
> > devices often share configuration parameters.
> >
> > If neither of those things has changed in the physical model, then the
> > software model probably oughtn't change either.
> >
> > Why is it?
>
> This question belongs on the -dev list.

The actual use of multiple inputs on the same card has already been
pretty rare, even more so today.  We can get rid of a lot of
complication for everyone (the card/input model) at the expense of a
little more complication for a small number of people (those who
actually use multiple inputs).

The scheduler already has to deal with two types of relationships
between inputs.  Inputs on the same card and inputs in the same input
group.  The multirec without virtual tuners feature will add yet
another -- can an input be shared with itself.  Since input groups can
also cover the inputs on the same card case, we don't need the latter.
The scheduler then still only needs to know about 2 types of
relationships instead of 3.

David
--
David Engel