[mythtv] Services API: reschedule

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Dec 22 22:27:47 UTC 2015

On 12/22/2015 04:44 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:28:03PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>>
>>> After loading schedule data we need to tell the backend to reschedule,
>>> which I currently do via mythutil --resched but that's not very
>>> service-y.
>>
>> Are you saying that you need an (enhanced) services
>> API to push guide data (that would be an enhancement
>> request), or that when you push guide data one of the
>> Service API is not rescheduling (that would be a bug),
>> or that you are trying to bypass the APIs that exist,
>> and do not wish to request another, and you are building
>> your own solution (and that means when the database
>> access goes private, your code will break, and that
>> would be your bug to fix on a moments notice).
>
> I suspect this has to do with Schedules Direct new ability to detect
> overruns of sporting events.  Whatever the source of the new guide
> data, I think the preferred solution is to either feed an xmltv file
> to mythfilldatabase and/or add service APIs to update the guide data
> and automatically reschedule rather than updating the database
> directly (probably what is being done) and then issuing a reschedule.

Anticipating what Rob Kulagowski might be thinking, some background on
the JSON service. The JSON service only pulls *changed* data. It checks
the (hashed value of) shows it already knows about against the hash on
the server and only pulls those that are changed (or are new). (In
addition, it only calls for data from channels in its set lineups, so
the size of updates is very small).

So a service API on the mythbox which allows the user to, in effect,
poll the server, and check for a change, in respect of one particular
program, (and trigger a program data database update + re-schedule)
would fulfil the requirements that have been talked about for show
overruns.  The update to the feed, which SD gets is apparently about one
minute from the real time end of show. But the mythbox has to know to
check, and then download the changed data.

And the problem, of course, is to make changes on the mythbox end to
make that work.

The question of whether subsequent shows are 'pushed' or 'truncated' is
left to the student as an exercise.... -;)

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury