[mythtv] API interfacing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 10 13:33:16 UTC 2015

On 12/10/2015 08:11 AM, Philip Brady wrote:
> 4.  Python bindings.   I do not speak Python but it appears to be
> documented and has a number of published applications using it.  What
> is the long term future for those applications?  Are the bindings and
> the underlying code going to be maintained well into the future so
> these useful utilities still work or is it possible to create a 'shim'
> piece of code to take binding calls and turn them into API calls?

Ideally (meaning the plan is, assuming someone makes time to do it) the
bindings (Perl, Python, and future to-be-created ones) will be changed
to make calls using the service API, as any 3rd party application
should.  Then, the bindings just become building blocks/convenience APIs
which take care of the details, including low-level functionality (like
actually sending and receiving requests, processing responses,
"packaging" data into language-appropriate data types and containers,
...).  As a matter of fact, they could even be made to deal with issues
such as service API version differences and capabilities.

Then, rather than having to write all sorts of low-level code to use the
service API, 3rd party applications (or short scripts or ...) would
simply make a couple of (language-appropriate method) calls through the
bindings to get the functionality they need.

Mike