[mythtv] Any interest in a mythweb listings by channel group patch?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 28 14:50:25 UTC 2014

On 01/25/2014 03:19 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> Three years ago I submitted a patch for mythweb.  The original mod was
> simply to allow switching from all channels to favorites only directly
> on the listing page, rather than having to go into the settings...a
> change I've been using for years and couldn't do without.
>
> As per a suggestion (from Michael Dean I believe) I enhanced it to
> also replace the existing favorites only setting to a dropdown of all
> channel groups.  This was the original change:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2010-March/067949.html
>
> If I remember correctly, I think the original change was sidelined
> because there was talk of totally redoing the mythweb templates or the
> like (??)...anyway...it was never implemented.
>
> I have the same mod in a patch for the current master that I just
> finished testing.  Any interest in that one?

Tom, the main reason your patch (at #8075 (
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8075 ), which includes the original
and the updated version you attached in the above-linked post--I
uploaded it after your attempt to do so was rejected) wasn't committed
was because of plans to make some major changes to MythWeb.  We have
since decided on the approach we're taking.

The general idea is that the MythTV web interface will no longer be a
separate web application that runs using PHP on Apache/nginx/lighttpd,
but will be an integral part of the backend.  It will use the same code
as the rest of MythTV (mythbackend and mythfrontend and ...) and will be
available immediately upon starting mythbackend.  This has many benefits
including a) eliminates the need to re-code MythTV logic (libraries and
application logic) in a completely different programming language and
application, b) no need to keep redundant logic up to date with changes
to MythTV (and no worries about the web interface being outdated
compared to other applications), and c) *much* easier setup for users
(no need to install and configure Apache/nginx/lighttpd and install and
configure PHP (and set various memory sizes for PHP and ...).

Stuart Morgan has been doing a lot of work on this project.  You can
find commits toward it at http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11938

Because of this, we won't have any PHP code creating a web application
for MythTV.  However, please feel free to upload your current
master-compatible version of the code to #8075 (even though the ticket
is closed--and please leave it closed for now).  While it may not be
committed, it will be good to have it available, since we will
incorporate similar functionality into WebFrontend (if Stuart doesn't
get a chance to do so on the first implementation, it will eventually be
changed to allow the functionality).  Depending on the status of
WebFrontend when we approach the next release (and the amount of time I
have available for MythTV), I may go ahead and commit your patch.

Thanks,
Mike