[mythtv] Viewing Live TV Causes Recordings to be Moved to Live TV Group - Again

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Feb 26 00:06:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:53:30AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Le mercredi 26 février 2014, Jonas Arndt <jonas.arndt at thearndtfamily.com> a
> écrit :
>
> >  Hi Guys,
> >
> > I think I discovered an issue that others have seen before.
> >
> > My setup:
> > MythTV backend: Separate machine, Myth 0.27
> > MythTV frontend: Zbox, Myth 0.27

> > Reproduce:
> >
> >    - Watch a channel Live prior to a scheduled recording start on the
> >    same channel
> >    - When the scheduled recording starts you can notice two tuners being
> >    used (1 for the LiveTV and one for the Recording)
> >    - You can now stop or continue watching LiveTV, it doesn't affect the
> >    outcome
> >     - The scheduled recording ends up in the LiveTV Recording group and
> >    is not visible in Recorded Shows (unless you switch group)
> >
> > This is a problem. Specifically when you are not aware of it. My wife was
> > upset her recording was gone (#!@% home built system..). It turns out I
> > could move it back from LiveTV and restore the trust in this awesome
> > project.
> >
> > Anyhow, I started searching and discovered that this is actually not a new
> > problem and there seem to be a ticket open for it (
> > https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11119). There is a patch.txt in there
> > but it seems it never made it to the code. At least I can not see the
> > changes in the code and I can reproduce the problem.
> >
> > I am not sure why we have this behavior. Initially I thought that somebody
> > wanted to reuse the same tuner and live recording for the scheduled
> > recording and that the recording would be left in the LiveTV group by
> > mistake. However, I can clearly see that 2 tuners are active, so I don't
> > know if this is perhaps just a mistake.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> There must be more than one bug, because I reported that issue a while back
> to...

Yes, it's a well know problem.

> It's on my todo list

I've very briefly tried looking at it a couple of times.  A big part
of the problem is that much of MythTV assumes that any program will
never be recorded more than once at the same time.  Having a scheduled
and a live TV recordings going on at the same time breaks that
assumption and strange things happen.

David
--
David Engel