[mythtv] Viewing Live TV Causes Recordings to be Moved to Live TV Group - Again

Jonas Arndt jonas.arndt at thearndtfamily.com
Tue Feb 25 21:17:40 UTC 2014

Hi Guys,

I think I discovered an issue that others have seen before.

My setup:
MythTV backend: Separate machine, Myth 0.27
MythTV frontend: Zbox, Myth 0.27

Reproduce:

  * Watch a channel Live prior to a scheduled recording start on the
    same channel
  * When the scheduled recording starts you can notice two tuners being
    used (1 for the LiveTV and one for the Recording)
  * You can now stop or continue watching LiveTV, it doesn't affect the
    outcome
  * The scheduled recording ends up in the LiveTV Recording group and is
    not visible in Recorded Shows (unless you switch group)

This is a problem. Specifically when you are not aware of it. My wife
was upset her recording was gone (#!@% home built system..). It turns
out I could move it back from LiveTV and restore the trust in this
awesome project.

Anyhow, I started searching and discovered that this is actually not a
new problem and there seem to be a ticket open for it
(https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11119). There is a patch.txt in
there but it seems it never made it to the code. At least I can not see
the changes in the code and I can reproduce the problem.

I am not sure why we have this behavior. Initially I thought that
somebody wanted to reuse the same tuner and live recording for the
scheduled recording and that the recording would be left in the LiveTV
group by mistake. However, I can clearly see that 2 tuners are active,
so I don't know if this is perhaps just a mistake.

Cheers,

// Jonas