[mythtv] ringbuffer.cpp

Jonas Arndt jonas.arndt at thearndtfamily.com
Mon Feb 24 14:32:32 UTC 2014

On 02/22/2014 09:18 AM, Jonas Arndt wrote:

> On 02/21/2014 10:26 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 22 February 2014 14:52, Jonas Arndt
>> <jonas.arndt at thearndtfamily.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So my friend had another freeze. I was running the flags -v file
>>> --loglevel=debug
>>> This was in the back-end log:
>> it is having the issue I was mentioning before. It takes over 360ms
>> between two writes on the backend, so the read treats it as EOF (the
>> recording has ended) and the frontend will freeze and timeout after
>> 16s.
>>
>> I'm still working on a universal solution for that one.
>> I have a fix for when you're straaming for the backend, but it will
>> break FE/BE combo :(
>>
>> Not sure it will work in your case anyway, you can see in your log
>> that the BE didn't write anything for over 4s.
>>
>> There's no way you can handle live TV without freeze or abort when you
>> starve playback from data for such long time.
>>
>> Recover from 1-2s sure... 4s... no way
>>
> Thanks JY,
>
> So the one difference between my friend's system and mine is that his
> HDHomeRun goes through a cheap Netgear Wifi AP router. It is NOT on
> Wifi but the router is only 100 Mbps and, looking at the IO Graph
> (Wireshark) it looks a bit iffy. Every 30 seconds the bandwidth goes
> down significantly (like an inverted spike). Do you think that this
> lack of data can trigger the bug you are working on? I don't have the
> same IO graph on my system, where the HDHomeRun is plugged straight
> into the 1 Gbps switch. In any case, we will move his HDHomeRun today
> so that it also goes straight to the switch.
>
> On your current fix (that breaks FE/BE combo), I would be happy to
> test that if that is useful to you. I know something else will come
> out in the end, but it would certainly be super if I can get my
> friend's system stable (he is not doing FE/BE combo) and start
> focusing on something else during the weekends;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> // Jonas
2 days without a single freeze on my friend's system. This after we
connected the HDHomeRun directly to the Gigabit switch. Coincidence? I
don't think so. Like I mentioned, in wireshare the IO graph was showing
some weird dips when we had the 100 Mbit/s Netgear device between and
now it is smooth. Why these dips would trigger the issue you are talking
about I don't know.

What is the process from when you commit a patch till it ends up in the
download on http://www.mythtv.org/download/mythtv/0.27 ? Are there
release schedules for bug fixes? I am thinking about the commit
20f7cd2858e79385ceec07b2c19c7e4f84714e18 for ticket 12045

Thanks,

// Jonas