[mythtv] ringbuffer.cpp

Jonas Arndt jonas.arndt at thearndtfamily.com
Sat Feb 22 18:06:53 UTC 2014

>> Not sure it will work in your case anyway, you can see in your log
>> that the BE didn't write anything for over 4s.
>>
>> There's no way you can handle live TV without freeze or abort when you
>> starve playback from data for such long time.
>>
>> Recover from 1-2s sure... 4s... no way
>>
> Thanks JY,
>
> So the one difference between my friend's system and mine is that his
> HDHomeRun goes through a cheap Netgear Wifi AP router. It is NOT on
> Wifi but the router is only 100 Mbps and, looking at the IO Graph
> (Wireshark) it looks a bit iffy. Every 30 seconds the bandwidth goes
> down significantly (like an inverted spike). Do you think that this
> lack of data can trigger the bug you are working on? I don't have the
> same IO graph on my system, where the HDHomeRun is plugged straight
> into the 1 Gbps switch. In any case, we will move his HDHomeRun today
> so that it also goes straight to the switch.
>
> On your current fix (that breaks FE/BE combo), I would be happy to
> test that if that is useful to you. I know something else will come
> out in the end, but it would certainly be super if I can get my
> friend's system stable (he is not doing FE/BE combo) and start
> focusing on something else during the weekends;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> // Jonas

The difference in the logs of my friend's backend is that he has many many
=>  D TFWWrite threadedfilewriter.cpp:489 (DiskLoop)
TFW(/data1/Recordings/2655_20140222010733.mpg:49): write(65424) cnt 0
total 0

*cnt 0 total 0*. I don't have any of those on my system, even though I
ran with debug enabled watching live TV a full evening. I guess this
means that the writer thread doesn't have anything to write. Who is
feeding this guy? Where does the RTP(UDP) stream from the HDHomeRun fit
in? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to understand how this
is put together and if I am chasing a red herring with the HDHomeRun
network thingy

// Jonas