[mythtv] ringbuffer.cpp

Mark Spieth mark at digivation.com.au
Mon Feb 17 04:07:10 UTC 2014

On 17/02/2014 12:58 PM, Jonas Arndt wrote:
> Now why on earth would I need 1 Gbps to run watch liveTV? No issues
> with recorded shows on the 100 Mbit NIC. I don't know much about the
> Myth streaming protocol but it seems there is stuff going on there for
> LiveTV that would require a much larger bandwidth then one would expect.

perhaps this is due to the out of band seek table updates that occur
during live tv and growing recordings.
see MythPlayer::IsNearEnd I think.
This occurs reasonably frequently to check for end of file and near end
to slow down timestretch.
Its been a long time since I looked at this stuff but the recorder
GetFramesWritten would be called a lot if close to real time and a
remote encoder.
Perhaps this info needs to go inband in the myth protocol stream so it
never gets called out of band.
There may alo be other things like this that I dont know about.

I had this 100M bandwidth effect too at one stage before I switched to
1G network between the BE and FE. This behaviour changed all of the
sudden at one point but I cant remember when. Sometime post 0.25 I
think. Still running recent master.

my 2c and HTH
mark