[mythtv] MythTV Forums

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Feb 11 13:41:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 13:03 +0000, Martin Thwaites wrote:

> Based on that, it appears you've not used forum subscriptions

Of course I have.  How would I know what kind of e-mail you get if I had
not?  Most (which is admittedly not many, since I avoid forums) forums I
have subscribed to simply send you a "hey, there has been a new post,
click here to go read it" type e-mail.  This is presumably so that they
can drive up their pay-per-click revenue.

Or the other that I have seen is "there's been a new post and is it
says: <contents of post>.  But you will not receive another notification
until you visit the thread".  Again, presumably to drive up
pay-per-click revenue.

And even if you did get an e-mail copy of the contents of all posts, in
order to reply you still have to context switch over to the forum in
your browser and log in.  Sure, it's all just a few clicks and whatnot
but it adds up.  As Ronald Reagan said "A billion here, a billion there—
pretty soon you're talking about real money".

Ultimately, if I get the content in my e-mail, why should I not be able
to contribute back in my e-mail?

Put another way, if e-mail were not the great tool that it is, why would
forums have this option to get forum posts by e-mail?

b.