[mythtv] MythTV Forums

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Feb 11 12:08:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 16:25 +0000, Martin Thwaites wrote:
> In regards to not checking the forum... set up a subscription, then you'll
> get an e-mail everytime a new post is done.

Ahhh.  So, you mean receive an e-mail that does nothing but tell me to
start another and/or switch applications to go log in somewhere else and
check a webpage.  All to read some textual content typically buried in a
low signal-to-noise format -- decorated with and distracted by all
manner of flashing and animated avatars and signature blocks and
whatnot?

Mmmhmm.

But yes, this is my biggest gripe with forums.  It's a polling
architecture.  I have to think/remember to go check periodically,
_just_in_case_ there is something new.  Every software architect should
understand the inefficiencies of polling vs. event driven architectures.

And yes, I can have an event delivered to me instead of polling, per
above, but it's an event that asks me to switch contexts to get the
information instead of just delivering the information with the event.
Again, every software architect should understand the inefficiencies of
such an architecture.

b.