[mythtv] MythTV Forums

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 21:48:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> If you split up the number of places people can/must go to get help,
> then you'll also split up the audience of helpers; decades of evidence
> on Usenet shows that you only split the group when the load becomes
> sufficiently untenable that it, itself, is chasing away Answerers.

Perhaps.  But to each their own.  Just as banks still provide tellers,
along with their ATMs and online banking tools, and some people
will only use a teller ("cannot trust those machines!").

There *are* some people who will never use an email list
to request support.  There *are* some people who will never
use a forum.  There *are* some people who never ask
questions at all (just get frustrated when things do not
work).  And there *are* people who never contribute at all.

I happen to prefer email lists because my personal workflow
works well with them.  Apparently, you too, prefer email.
But neither I, nor you, is the entire community.  And,
like it or not, it is possible that the plurality of the community
would like the option of a forum.

It is unknowable, in advance, whether a forum will result in
better or worse experience for the community at large,
fragment it, or grow it.  Perhaps it will be considered an
interesting experiment that failed, miserably.  Email may
also end up there too (along with RIP, and the chargen
service :-).