[mythtv] MythTV Forums

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 16:20:32 UTC 2014

Stuart Morgan
On Monday 10 Feb 2014 15:44:45  wrote:
> FWIW, there are advantages too, some of which I've mentioned above. Others
> include the possibility to properly moderate postings, removing spam and
> moving threads to their correct forums. No wading through endless off-topic
> threads as they'll be moved to the 'Off-topic' forum. No more double
> posting, mis-formatted html emails or extremely long emails where no-one
> has bothered to crop the previous email(s) to just the bits they are
> responding too.

Having noticed a couple of typos in that email only after posting, another
advantage of forums comes to mind. The ability to edit your post to fix errors
that were missed during proofreading*

* The forum is configured not to allow users to edit their posts after someone
has replied, to prevent people re-writing history.

Also note, that I'm not coming down on one side of the argument or another. I
like both mailing lists and forums. The topic was just taking a very one-sided
point of view, with more prejudice being expressed than fact.

P.S. If this thread were on the forum, the latter half would have already been
split into the 'Off-topic' forum. This little sidestep into 'why I hate forums'
is meaningless since no-one is forcing you to use the forum. If you want to go
through the 'old man angry at the world' routine, please take it elsewhere.

--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV