[mythtv] Improving closed captions/subtitles

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sat Feb 8 02:55:52 UTC 2014

On 1/31/2014 7:27 PM, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> - I suspect support for subtitle zoom was added because of the first
>> problem. Maybe it can be eliminated at some point?
>
>          I don't know about 708 caption zoom, but I submitted the initial
> patch for 608 caption and DVD/BD subtitle zoom because I wanted them to
> be *smaller* -- I don't want them covering up too much of the display,
> especially on a big screen where smaller subtitles/captions are
> perfectly readable.  I typically use zoom values of 60%-70%.  Removing
> the zoom would be a regression for me, since what I want can't be
> addressed just by using a smaller font size.

Hi Gregorio,

I have something for 608 captions that I'm currently testing. I'd like to test for your use case and I have some questions about the range of zoom values you mention:
- Do you find you change the zoom value based on the video you're viewing, or is it something you set on a per-frontend basis, i.e. set it once and then forget it?
- If it's something you change on a per-video basis, under what circumstances do you use 60% and when do you use 70%?
- If you set it once per frontend, which ones get 60% and which ones get 70% and why?
- How large is your biggest screen, and what's the zoom factor and what's the resolution, e.g. 1280x720 or 1920x1080?
- Any other factors that might help me avoid a regression in your view?

TIA,
Helen