[mythtv] Please explain the usage (valid arguments) of the mythfilldatabase "--sourceid" option

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 05:28:32 UTC 2014

On 04/15/2014 10:25 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> For that matter, the only
> reasons anyone anywhere should be dealing with xmltv files directly is
> for development, or because they're using a non-compliant XMLTV grabber.

Interesting, I'll bite.

I am also messing with xmltv files directly and have not found a way to
avoid that. Here is my use case.

I subscribe to cable. Some of the channels are available both on the
analogue side and digitally. I have four tuners but only two STBs, so
two of the tuners are connected to the STBs while the other two are
connected to the cable directly.

So here is reason no. 1 why I mess with xmltv files: the channels
available to the analogue video source are a subset of those available
to the digital video source. I want to avoid two grabbing runs where one
will do.

Furthermore, good data is hard to come by here. So I need to grab data
for my lineup in multiple places, using multiple grabbers. I can't count
on the encoding of the xmltv files produced by these grabbers all to be
the same, so I can't just tv_cat them together.

So this is reason no. 2: I wouldn't know how to grab from multiple
sources and create a combined xmltv file, all in a single command for
mythfilldatabase to invoke. I know that this is what shepherd does for
Australian users, but I'm not in Australia.

Jan